Wednesday 3 March 2021

Book Review — The Lady of the Rivers by Philippa Gregory

 


The Lady of the Rivers 

By Philippa Gregory 


Publisher : Simon & Schuster 

Jacquetta, daughter of the Count of Luxembourg and kinswoman to half the royalty of Europe, was married to the great Englishman John, Duke of Bedford, uncle to Henry VI. Widowed at the age of 19, she took the extraordinary risk of marrying a gentleman of her household for love, and then carved out a new life for herself.

Book Rating:

📚📚📚📚📚 = I could not put this book down. I Highly Recommend.

📚📚📚📚 = A really great read.

📚📚📚 = It was enjoyable.

📚📚 = It was okay.

📚 = Um...! 😕

My Review

The Lady of the Rivers


📚📚📚📚📚


This is the story of Elizabeth Woodville's mother. I was given this book by a friend not long after The White Princess came out on television, so it has been on my to-read pile for ages. But I finally got around to reading it, and I wish how I wish that I had read it sooner.

This novel is breathtakingly beautiful, and although I have read a few Philippe Greoggry books over the years, I think this one is my favourite. The drama, the romance, the political jockeying, the currying of favours, and on top of this magic, witchcraft, whatever you want to call it. It is undoubtedly one of those books that sweeps a reader away.

I thought Jacquetta story has been portrayed beautifully. And although I am not sure how much creative licence has been used in her story, it does not discredit to immortalise her in fiction.

You can pick up your copy on Amazon



  

 


1 comment:

  1. The Lady of the Rivers is one of my favourite books byPhilippa Gregory too, although my absolute favourite is The Kingmaker's Daughter.

    ReplyDelete

Read an excerpt from A Splendid Defiance by Stella Riley

  A Splendid Defiance By Stella Riley  Audiobook performed by Alex Wyndham Publication Date: 6th December 2012.  Publisher:  Stella Riley. P...